Super glue hazards: AZ woman glues eye shut, glue deafens man in drunken prank

A Glendale woman is the latest victim of super glue, that incredibly sticky substance strong enough to stick a man by his hardhat to a construction beam and cement fingers together with a single drop.

Eye drops, super glue, whatever/Thinkstock

But Irmgard Holm, no age revealed, went one better than sticking her fingers together, AP reports.

She squirted super glue into her eye.

Holm, who underwent cataract surgery last year, grabbed for a bottle of one of her several eye-drop medications – or at least what she thought was one of her medications – and dabbled some in her eye.

She knew she grabbed wrong when her eye started to burn.

She tried washing the glue out of her eye with water, but found her eye sealed shut.

A trip to the hospital fixed the faux pas, with staff cutting off the hardened glue followed by an eyewash by docs.

Moral of the story: Don’t store super glue near your eye drops, especially if the bottles look the same.

Super glue can also pose a health hazard if you happen to get some in your ear.

Ben Ferrett, then 26, found this out when he passed out at a party and other party goers decided to play a sticky prank on him, Australia’s Courier Mail reported in 2009.

The prank started with one guest squirting super glue down the back of Ferrett’s pants, in the hopes of sticking his butt cheeks together.

The prank continued when another guest tried to stick Ferrett’s hand to his face.

The prank became wholly hazardous when guest Ryan Liam Upton, then 27, poured super glue into Ferrett’s right ear canal.

A trip to the hospital and $6,000 later, Ferrett was left with permanent damage to his ear in the form of a partial hearing loss.

Upton pleaded guilty to a charge of grievous bodily harm and reimbursed Ferrett for his medical expenses. Upton was sentenced to 18 months in jail but the entire sentence was suspended.

Moral of the story: Don’t get drunk and pass out around a bunch of idiots.


What do you think?

Have you ever had a bad drunken prank pulled on you?

Have you ever mistakenly grabbed for the wrong container of something?

Have you ever been injured by super glue? Please explain.


About Rynski

Writer, artist, performer who specializes in the weird, wacky and sometimes creepy. Learn more at
This entry was posted in danger, gross stuff, life, notable folks, Stupidity and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Super glue hazards: AZ woman glues eye shut, glue deafens man in drunken prank

  1. andrew farley says:

    When it first came out in the 70’s we had a bottle in the shop where the owners young son was just made into our Boss. A co-worker poured the whole contents onto a bar stool and he sat on it real good and a trip to the hospital to cut off his expensive trousers from his butt. “Hilarity ensued” itc.

    • Rynski says:

      awww, that poor trouser man! i’ll bet he now ALWAYS looks before he sits…has been from that day forward.
      were they polyester pants? i can imagine that being extra hard to extract from skin. thanks for anecdote, hilarity ensued!

  2. Alan in Kent WA says:

    This is a sticky subject with some of the readers, isn’t it?

  3. citizentoo says:

    I’ve been known to stick the boss’s coffee cup or pencil to the workbench.

  4. radmax says:

    Super Glue is amazing stuff…’cept it only works on materials that I’m not working with.
    It always comes loose eventually. Good quick fix-not suitable for the long term.
    I wonder if butt cheeks and eyelids have been independently tested for long term bonding…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s